Sunday, December 8, 2013

Decorating with a Budget

Most of my posts during the holiday season so far have been about shopping, and understandably so.  But today I want to talk about decorating, another fun aspect of the holidays.  This is relevant to most people because even if you aren't someone who decorates for every holiday, most people decorate at least some for the winter holidays.  A lot of times, the whole house gets transformed -- inside and out.  But that can be expensive.  Here's a few tips on where to find cheaper holiday decorations:

1. The Dollar Store
I've talked about it before and I'll say it again.  This is one of the best places to get holiday decorations because they're so cheap!  I know a lot of you think that because it's so cheap, the quality of the products are cheap too.  That's not true!  I understand not getting your lights from there, though I still trust it (they even have LED lights!), but there are many other decorations that are not electronic that are just as good of quality.  Especially paper products that you are going to throw out every year.  Take a look at what the Dollar Tree has to offer: Dollar Tree Holiday Decorations
holiday decorations



2. Thrift Stores
You may be thinking I'm crazy, but people do donate decorations to thrift stores.  Go take a look!  I've bought a huge box full of ornaments for super cheap -- it was for a project which I'm going to talk about next:

3. Make Your Own
There are all kinds of fun ideas to make your own decorations which would also make a fun family project!  Here's one of my favorites (they also make great gifts!).  Just go to the dollar store or thrift store (or after Christmas when they're on sale) to get a bunch of ornaments and and then head to your local craft store for a few other supplies:
http://www.livelovediy.com/2013/11/how-to-make-christmas-ornament-wreath.html

There are all kinds of color combinations you can do:



2 comments:

  1. The best way to save on Christmas decoration is to reuse what you have bought from the previous years of if you really need to buy new ones, I suggest you take advantage of the tips posted in this post and some Christmas saving apps you can download on your phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course reusing decorations is key! I simply was stating for those who do not have decorations, need new ones, or want more. Many people think they cannot afford to decorate as much as they would like, but you can decorate the whole house for a small amount of money. Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete